|Developer(s):||SmileBoom Co. Ltd.|
|Release Date:|| JP November 19,2014|
NA October 15, 2015
|Mode(s):||Single-Player and Multi-Player|
|Preceded by:||Petit Computer|
Petit Computer 3 (Formal Japanese title "プチコン3号 SmileBASIC", [Puchikon San-go Sumairu Beshiku]) is a downloadable 3DS application developed by SmileBoom Co. Ltd., which is currently available for Japanese Nintendo 3DS family systems. It is the successor to Petit Computer (プチコン mkII, Puchikon mkII). The Japanese official website details input and output support, file types, included samples, and describes the server functions. An English site is also available, although it may be incomplete due to the very recent release.Note: SmileBASIC programs and discussion should go on the new site, http://smilebasicsource.com. It was released in Japan on November 19th, 2014, for ¥1000 (around 8.50 USD, likely to be rounded up to 8.99/9.99 USD (without tax)).And in North America on October 15th, 2015, for $9.99(USA),CA$12.99(Canada) and NEX$158(Mexico).It was originally set to be released in Europe.
New Editing Features
- Programs can be up to 999,999 lines long and up to 1,048,576 characters long.
- No line length limit. Line-wrapping can be enabled or disabled.
- Syntax highlighting, with user-definable colors.
- Undo/Redo buttons and multi-line code copying and pasting.
- Find and replace.
- When you push the "HELP" button while the cursor is on a command or statement, the on-screen Help window opens.
- Four program slots are available which can be loaded, saved, and run independently.
- The keyword
COMMON, and commands
RESTOREcan be used to access functions and resources from other slots.
- New drawing function features are available.
- Function Key No.4 has changed to "
LIST ERR[ENTER]". If you encounter an error, F4 displays the errored line quickly.
- The SMILE Button is available in Edit Mode which will open the SMILETOOL (or a program defined by the user). The SmileTool gives quick access to lists of numerical IDs of various resources, such as sound effects and background tiles. Additionally, it provides references and an easy way to find the correct parameters for adjustments such as offset, depth, and rotation, among others.
- Edit mode length guide, showing available space of 46x29 characters.
- The autosaving feature has been replaced by a slot always loaded feature.
Command, Statement and Variable Changes
- Multi-line "
IF - THEN - ELSEIF - THEN - ELSE - ENDIF", in addition to "
IF - THEN - (ELSEIF - THEN -) (ELSE -)" on a single line.
- A new "
REPEAT UNTIL" statement similar to Do and Loop.
- Local variables and user-defined functions.
- Up to four dimensions are allowed in arrays.
- The remainder operator "
%" has changed to "
MOD", like in Microsoft Basic.
- % is now used as a variable suffix to denote integer type (similar to how $ is used to denote string type).
- # is used as a variable suffix to denote double-precision floating-point type.
- All defined variables can be set to integers by default with OPTION DEFINT.
- Real time communication play statements. Multiple users with Petit Computer 3 can run programs together in real time. However, only local connections are supported.
PRGSETallows modification of code in other editing slots, letting users make programs that generate other BASIC programs.
- Many commands have an
OUToption. Instead of "
Command A,B,C,D...", "
Command A OUT B,C,D..." returns the values as B,C and D.
CHR$(n)supports 65536 text characters, of which roughly 5000 are defined as of v3.2 (mostly Japanese kanji).
- Screen resolution - 400x240 on top screen, 320x240 on bottom screen
- Color palette system is removed, RGB colors can be set without restriction.
- Sprite colors can be filtered, including transparency
- UTF-16 character set. Variations (bolding, italicization) are still not available.
- On Japanese kana characters, voiced sound marks are now integrated as single characters.
DIALOGcommands, users can make dialog windows on the lower screen (DIALOG windows support more kanji characters and symbols than normal text.).
- Z axis support. Range is from "-256" (closest to viewer) to "1024" (farthest). 0 is flat on the screen without any 3D effects.
- Triangular 2D polygons supported from v3.1.
- Backgrounds can now be rotated by "
- Background size is much larger than previous versions. Users can make scrolling games like "Gradius" easily.
- New system in Petit Computer 3. GRP uses 6 pages of 512x512 pixels each that are assigned as follows by default:
- GRP0 & GPR1 - Graphic pages. GRP commands write directly to these.
- GRP2 & GPR3 - Back buffer graphic pages to prevent tearing of images.
GPAGElets you select which page to display and which page to write to.
- GRP4 - Sprite page. GRP sheet used as a sprite bank.
- GRP5 - BG page. GRP used a tile bank.
- GRPF - Font page. A semi-secret GRP like BGF0 of old Petit Computer. v3.2 added support in
GCOPYwith the numeric ID '-1'.
- Options for
SAVEare PRG0-PRG3, GRP0-GRP5, TXT(string), DAT(array) and WAV(Sound).
GSAVEis used to transfer between GRP and arrays (DAT resource type).
BGSAVEis used to transfer between BG and arrays (DAT resource type).
- User can use same GRP as a graphic, sprite bank, and BG tile bank at the same time.
- All GRPs can be reset at once by using
- New maximum sprite size is 512x512. Sprites can be created pixel by pixel.
- New maximum patterns are 4096, and can be defined by "
SPSET" command or "
- Many new default sprites.
- Sprite space greatly increased.
- Sprite palettes have been removed, RGB colors are used instead.
SPOFS" now has a Z parameter.
- Turning and Flipping is set by binary variables, like with "
BUTTON()" or Package Resources.
- On "
SPSCALE", vertical and horizontal scaling can be set independently. Range of "0" to "200"(%) changed to "0" to "2.0".
SPHIDE" and "
SPSHOW" commands, no more fooling around with "
SPOFS" or transparent sprites.
SPCOLORfor color tints.
SPUNLINKfor linking different sprites.
SPHITgroup value increased from 8 to 32 bits.
SPHIThas been integrated into
SPTThave been integrated into
SPREADhas been integrated into
- All animation commands were combined into
Inputs and Outputs
- "START" button changed to end program like "SELECT" button; "START" button can't be used in programs anymore.
- The 3DS sensors such as the microphone and gyroscope sensor(to detect rotation and acceleration) are supported.
- Microphone is supported. Bit rates available are 8180Hz, 10910Hz, 16360Hz or 32730Hz. Bit depth and maximum lengths are 8 bit for 32 seconds or 16 bit for 4 seconds. Maximum recording samples are 16834.
- Suggestions that music from KORG DS-12 can be used in Petit Computer 3 (KORG DS-10, an older version of the KORG DS software)
- Circle Pad Pro (a.k.a. Slider Pad, Slide Pad Expansion) / New 3DS (C-stick, ZL, ZR) support.
- Users cannot customize these devices.
- A collaboration with DETUNE is not supported in initial versions, but is planned to be added in a future version.
- Available sound effects increased from 70 to 134.
- Frequency increased from +-4096 with 8 octaves to +-32767 with 28.4 octaves.
- Available BGM tracks increased from 30 to 42.
- Sound channels increased from 8 to 16.
- Tempo increased from 240 to 512.
- New parameter
- Available in Japanese and non-Japanese versions.
TALK" command engine re-added. Most intonation parameters from V2 are removed.
- Actual TALK speech only supports Japanese syllables, not those of Indo-European languages.
New Commands for All Sound Commands
EFCSET- Control effector preset.
EFCOFF- Toggle effects.
EFCWET- Control effect amount.
- Some default Japanese voices are provided between "
BEEP 70" and "
BEEP 78" . For example, "Bye Bye", "Yatta ne"(Well done!) and others.
Sharing and Saving Programs
- Program files and data can be "backed up" on the SmileBoom server with a limit.
- Users can only upload and download their own files. However, they can choose to publish programs, receiving a "Public Key" that can be distributed to other people. Other users can download the program if they know the Public Key.
- Users can make a single level of "project"s (a.k.a. "folder"s). When another user downloads it, the same project structure is maintained.
- All other file sharing commands and methods have been removed (QR codes,
- From the main menu, users can control "my uploads", "my downloads", open, lock, delete and download files from others.
- SmileBoom announced that a few good games made with Petit Computer 3 can become independent original games. All nominations and winners of the Programming Contest 3 are to be published on the Japanese eShop as Petit Computer Magazine Issue 1. On twitter, SmileBoom have stated this will not be released outside Japan.
- Improved running speed.
- Battery level visible on touchscreen keyboard.
- Sample Games (Such as "GAME1" to "GAME6" in old Petit Computer) can be listed with View Samples.
- Touching to select "Yes" and "No" on the lower screen can be done with "A"(OK) and "B"(No) buttons.
- Not compatible with Petit Computer (mkII).
- After the release of Petit Computer 3, Petit Computer (mkII) will continue to be downloadable in Japan.
- Program suspension (You can pause what you are doing to return to the petit computer menu, and resume it).
- Functions and Commands controlling
ICONare no longer usable.
- A third "Petit Computer Ogiri" Programming Contest ran in Japan from release day until January 31st, 2015, receiving 130 entries. The top 38 programs nominated for awards will be released on the eShop in Japan as Petit Computer Magazine Issue 1.
Bandai Namco Entertainment Catalogue IP Collaboration
In Japanese only,User can use 17 Old Namco Game Characters from Version 3.3.0.Trying to download a program with them to the English version will remove the material. (Similar to programs using the sound DLC -- download will turn the command into a null operation)User can use below:
- GRP and SPDEF of Sprite
- GRP and Screen placement of BG
- BGMPLAY and BEEP
- Data Browser Tool
Japanese can buy 100 or 200 Yen."DLCOPEN" command can read titles below:
- Galaxian - 100 Yen since April 6,2016
- Pacman - 100 Yen since April 6,2016
- XEVIOUS -200 Yen
- GALAGA -200 Yen
- MAPPY -200 Yen
- DIGDUG -200 Yen
- B_CITY (Battle City)
- S_LUSTER (Star Luster)
- D_BUSTER (Dragon Buster)
- GENPEI (Genpei Toma Den)
- BABEL (Tower of babel)
- A_VALKYRIE (Valkyrie no Boken - Japanese 'boken' means 'A'dventure)
- YOKAI (Yokai Dochuki)
- W_MOMO (Wonder Momo)
- WAGAN (Wagan Land)
Version 3.3.1 (Japan: May 25, 2016)
- Some bugs fixed below:
- Infinite loop of
CONVOLentry removed from text complete.
- Closing lid,
GSAVEas DAT format to
GLOADas GRP format.
- Cursor of
- Could not change editor highlighting colors.
- Version of Simle Tool was old.
- Infinite loop of
Version 3.3.0 (Japan: April 6, 2016; NA: April 27, 2016)
- New Commands
- BGMPAUSE - Pasuse BGMPLAY like SPSTOP or SPHIDE
- BGMCONT - Continue BGMPLAY like SPMOVE or SPSHOW
- SNDSTOP - Stop all BGMPLAYs and BEEPs
- CLIPBOARD - Copy and Paste of Clipboard
- GOFS - Set and Read of Graphic Page Offset
- BIN$ - Convert integer to binary string, like HEX$
- MILLISEC - Millisecond version of MAINCNT
- EXTFEATURE - System variable, Return with New Command's support
- DLCOPEN - Open to Download Contents below.If you don't buy, PTC3 reterns error message "DLC not found".
- Some commands and functions add new paramaters below:
- BGSCREEN - Not only 16x16 mode, BG is added 8x8 and 32x32
- BGLOAD - Offset of Character number
- FORMAT$ - %B format type: binary string of integer
- SPDEF - Offset of some paramaters
- SPLINK - Getting Linkage ID
- MICSTART - 8 or 16 bit Signed
- ACLS - Saving Option of GRP, SPDEF and FONT
- LOAD - Locate of GRP
- High Quality Sound Unit (DLC) is released (500 Yen). New Commands below:
- FFT - Fourier transform
- IFFT - Inverse Fourier transform
- BIQUAD - BiQuad Filter
- BQPARAM - BiQuad parameter generation
- FFTWFN - FFT Window Function
- PCMSTREAM - Exec of PCM Stream
- PCMPOS - Get Pointer of PCM
- PCMVOL - Volume of PCM
- PCMSTOP - STOP PCM
- PCMCONT - Continue PCM
- ARYOP - Batch compute on arrays/sequences (?)
- RINGCOPY - Ring Buffer Copy
- Japanese user can use some Old Namco Game Characters and MMLs.See "Bandai Namco Entertainment Catalogue IP Collaboration".
- Some bugs fixed below:
- INC and DEC with system valuable
- RUN and TOPMENU button
- Overflow of Strings * number
- Deleted program on server
- Smile Paint Tool
- Carriage return becoming line feed when saving TXT
- Not only Alphabetic, Filer's sort can select by Time order.
- Sometime After 3.3, Petit Computer BIG be released.
- In March 10 2016, Smileboom said Ver.3.3.0 is not released before GDC (Game Developers Conference).
Version 3.2.1 (Japan: August 5, 2015; NA: October 15, 2015)
- Some bugs of commands fixed.
- A manual was corrected.
- First release of NA version.
Version 3.2.0 (Japan: June 17, 2015)
- Corrections made to Error Messages.
- Corrections made to Help Messages.
- TALK command can now control playback speed and pitch.
- New commands:
- Screen fade affect.
- SPCOLOR and BGCOLOR now support adding color as well as subtracting color.
- To prevent endless DIALOG windows, user can exit DIALOG mode by pressing the START button.
- For text, user can use 16 color codes instead of the RGB function.
- In 3.1.0 and lower, [SHIFT]+[Del] erases one line of code. 3.2.0 and later erases from the current cursor position to the end of the line.
SQRTis deleted. SmileBoom forgot instead of
RESULTalso returns the input from
- JIS Plane 1 kanji implemented using the Misaki Japanese Kanji Font.
- Purchase Extra Features menu added, with Gold Subscriptions available for additional server space.
Version 3.1.0 (Japan: March 4, 2015)
- All sprites need to be SPSET like old Petit Computer.
- Higher running speed than 3.0.2.
- In the main menu, a new space was made for added functions in new versions.
- [FILES "//"] can get all projects.
- List of commands and functions were deleted from the digital manual.
- New commands.
Version 3.0.2 (Japan: January 7, 2015)
- Help button crash fixed.
Version 3.0.1 (Japan: December 17, 2014)
- Bug fixed in SPCHR, SPHIDE and SPSHOW.
- Home location of many sprites changed.
- Bug fixed in GAME3JUMP.
- This update was quickly removed on the same day due to help button causing crashes. with users advised to uninstall it.
Version 3.0.0 (Japan: November 19, 2014)
- This was the first official release. (Japan only)
- New commands:
Beta Version (Japan: September 18, 2014)
- Available to visitors of the SmileBoom booth at Tokyo Game Show.
Petit Computer BIG
- Petit Computer 3D for Wii U.
- Revealed by Smileboom in the "Petit Computer 3D Official Guide Book" published on September 14, 2015.
- After release of 3DS Version 3.3.0,Smileboom tweeted BIG will be released in Summer 2016.
- Smileboom has next hope that is the 64 bit BASIC system instead of Petit Computer.
- BIG and 3D can share the same network ID,public keys and programs.
- Fonts has as 16x16.
- Memories (Now 67051520 bytes),Text Screen (75x44),GRP (1024x1024),Sprites and BGs will increase than 3D.
- Mostly,BIG has same BASIC functions.But running speed is 3 times faster than 3D.
Input and Output
- USB Keyboard.
- Users can only use the Game Pad with SmileBASIC.Game Pad Keyboard has new icons.SAVE,LOAD and new tool bar in left side.
- BIG has 3 screens.TV screen has 1st screen(Upper screen of DS) only or with 2nd screen(Lower screen of DS).User can select by F12 Key.3rd screen is Game Pad.
- Some input and output are added (Wii's expansions.Nunchuk,MotionPlus and others...)
- Some input and output are deleted (MIC,Programmable Network Function and 3D Visual Effect...)
- Instead of without Network Function,user can run 4 wireless controller for much play.
Images (Click to expand)
The American Comic-styled Hero wearing a magenta suit in some pictures is called "Mr.Syntax".
These are QR codes for Nintendo 3DS Camera, not Petit Computer. They demonstrate how the 3D depth function looks.
Original sites: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third_qr.php, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd4/, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd5/ http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd6/
- Smileboom had developed a physical keyboard, but canceled because of high cost for sale.
"Also at the event, the company president divulged that there were (about) 10 huge secrets of Petit Computer 3 that nobody knows, but further details on those will be officially announced at a later date."- Revealed as upgraded features and functions. Some form of desktop support?- Kind of, in the form of the Wii U version, with USB keyboard and larger screen support
- Running Speed - New 3ds ~32x / Old 3ds ~11x faster runtime performance compared to Petit Computer. Tested with the actual software. -- http://filetrip.net/dl?IRWj3J9Otj (video proof) (as of SB vers. 3.2.1, video was of SB JPN vers. 3.0.0)
External Links and sources
- Japanese Official Site of Petit Computer 3
- The SmileBASIC Official Site (English)
- SmileBASIC E-Manual Official English Translation
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php - Japanese Teaser Site
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/download/ - Online and Download Manual (Currently Japanese only)
- http://smileboom.com/blog/about/press/ptcm3.html - Press Packs and imagery for Petit Computer 3.
- https://twitter.com/PetitComputer - Official Japanese Twitter account.
- https://twitter.com/notohoho - SmileBoom CEO Takaki Kobayashi's Twitter account.
- https://twitter.com/smilebasic_com - Official English Twitter account.
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/media/pdf/ec2015-workshop.pdf - For EC2015 Work Shop (Japanese)
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073481445179/14866558073481445194 - Miiverse
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj04FERaA - Hakase(Hakase the Doctor)'s Public Key Data Base
News (Before announcement of Release Date)
- http://www.itmedia.co.jp/keywords/puticom3.html - Nikkan! Putikon Sango(Daily! Petit Computer 3) Daily info on Petit Computer 3.
News (After announcement of Release Date)
- http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-38759_petit_computer_3_de_sortie_la_semaine_prochaine_au_japon.htm (French)
- http://nintyeshopgamers.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/petit-computer-se-renueva-en-3ds-y-mini-entrevista-sobre-el-juego-a-smileboom/ (Spanish)
Advertisements in Monthly "Nintendo Dream"
The exploits of Mr.Syntax the Hero, but all in Japanese.
News (About Western Releases)
Streams on You Tube
- From Tokyo Game Show
- http://wiki.hosiken.jp/petc3gou/ - Japanese Wiki
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ihBdTe0w3GRSE-NgzqTo7i0XtMvLKqWTZ6xuVmsHiJ4/edit#gid=0 - Editable Files Data Base
- http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/imagine/event.html - The Petit Computer Fan Meeting in October 17 2015,Japan.A Beta Version of Petit Computer BIG is opened.
Information on this page is subject to change.