|Developer(s):||SmileBoom Co. Ltd.|
|Release Date:|| JP November 19,2014|
NA Spring 2015
|Preceded by:||Petit Computer|
Petit Computer 3 (Japanese Formal Title decided "プチコン3号 SmileBASIC", [Puchikon San-go Sumairu Beshik]) is an upcoming downloadable 3DS application first announced for Japanese Nintendo 3DS (XL) systems and developed by SmileBoom Co. Ltd.. It is the successor to Petit Computer (プチコン mkII, Puchikon mkII). The official Japanese website can be found here (English here), and details input and output support, file types, included samples, and describes the server functions.Note: SmileBASIC programs and resources are being moved to the SmileBASIC specific partner wiki
The published price is ¥1000 (or around $9.99 USD) and the Japanese release date is November 19th, 2014. NA and EU release is confirmed as Spring 2015.
New Editing FeaturesEdit
- Up to 999,999 lines are available. There is no character limit.
- No line length limit. Code wraparound can be toggled.
- Syntax highlighting, with user-definable colors.
- Code collapsing (Like a "show/hide" button).
- Undo/Redo buttons and multi-line code copying and pasting
- Find and replace
- When you push the "HELP" button while the cursor is on a command or statement, the on-screen Help window opens.
- You can have up to four programs open simultaneously, independently loading and saving in each one.
- To share a resource between them,
- New drawing function features. Exact details currently unknown.
- Function Key No.4 changed to "
LIST ERL[ENTER]". If you encounter an error, F4 displays the errored line quickly.
- pressing the SMILE button while editing will open the SMILETOOL (or a program defined by the user). In it, the numerical ID of various resources, such as sound effects and background tiles can be found quickly. Additionally, it provides references and an easy way to find just the right parameters for adjustments such as offset, depth, and rotation, among others.
- Edit mode length guide
- No autosaving
Command, Statement and Variable ChangesEdit
- Multi-line "
IF - THEN - ELSE - ENDIF", in addition to "
IF - THEN (- ELSE)" on a single line.
REPEAT UNTIL" statement similar to Do and Loop.
- Local variables and user-defined functions.
- Up to four dimensions are allowed in arrays.
%" changed to "
MOD" like in Microsoft Basic.
- % is now used as a variable suffix to denote integer type (similar to how $ is used to denote string type).
- # is used as a variable suffix to denote double-precision floating-point type.
- Real time communication play statements. Multiple users with Petit Computer 3 can fight in real time. It may be only local connections, however.
- User can generate another BASIC program in a program with
- Text Characters of "
CHR$(n)" - 63356
- Graphic and Sprite location - 320x240
- Color palette system is removed
- Unicode character set. Unfortunately, variations (bolding, italicization) are still not available.
- On Japanese Kana characters, voiced sound mark is now integrated as a single character.
DIALOGcommand, users can make dialog windows on the lower screen (In Tokyo Game Show Japanese user succeeded to display Kana and Kanji from DS).
- Z axis support. Range is from "-256" (closest to viewer) to "1024" (farthest).
- Polygons will NOT be supported.
- Backgrounds can now be rotated by "
- Background size is much larger than old Petit Computer. Can make scrolling games like "Gradius" easily.
GPUTCHRhas been removed, as all graphics are now handled differently.
- Most statements of lower screen and touch panel have been removed.
- New system of Petit Computer 3D.GRP has 6 pages and 512x512 pixel that assign in default.
- GRP0 & GPR1 - Graphic pages. GRP writes directly to these.
GPAGEchanges these definitions, and can toggle read only or writable.
- GRP2 & GPR3 - Unknown(Unusable by default?)
- GRP4 - Sprite page. GRP sheet used as a sprite bank.
- GRP5 - BG page. GRP used a tile bank.
- GRP0 & GPR1 - Graphic pages. GRP writes directly to these.
- Options for
SAVEare PRG0-PRG3, GRP0-GRP5, TXT(string), DAT(array) and others.
GSAVEis used to transfer between GRP and array(DAT resource type).
BGSAVEis used to transfer between BG and array(DAT resource type).
- User can use same GRP as a graphic, sprite bank, and BG tile bank at the same time.
- We can reset these by
- New maximum sprite size is 512x512.We can struct one dot by one dot.
- New maximum patterns are 4096,that is called "palette" and defined by "
SPSET" command or "
- Many new default sprites.
- Sprite space greatly increased.
- Sprite palettes have been removed, but RGB colors.
SPOFS" now has a Z parameter.
- Turning and Flipping is set by binary variables, like "
BUTTON()" or Package Resource.
- On "
SPSCALE", vertical and horizontal scaling is independent of each other. Range of "0" and "200"(%) changed to "0" and "2.0".
SPHIDE" and "
SPSHOW" command, no more fooling around with "
SPOFS" or transparent sprites.
SPUNLINKfor linkage among some sprites.
SPHITincreased from 8 to 32 bits.
SPHIThas been integrated into
SPTThave been integrated into
SPREADhas been integrated into
Inputs and OutputsEdit
- "START" button changed to end program like "SELECT" button, we can't use "START" button in programs anymore.
- The 3DS sensors such as the camera and gyroscopic sensor(We can detect vibration) will be supported.
- Microphone is supported. Bit rate is 8180Hz, 10910Hz, 6360Hz or 32730Hz. Bit and maximum length is 8 bit for 32 seconds or 16 bit for 4 seconds. Maximum recording samples are 16834.
- New details suggest that music from KORG DS-12 can be used in Petit Computer 3 (An older version of the KORG DS software)
- Circle Pad Pro (a.k.a. Slider Pad, Slide Pad Expansion) support.
- The only new features on the new 3DS and 3DSXL/LL that will be released in October 2014 (Japan) that are supported are the c-stick, "ZL" trigger and "ZR" trigger.But we can't get "START","SELECT" and "HOME".
- Users can customize these devices.
- Collaboration with DETUNE is not supported in first version,but that will begin to next version.
- Increased from 70 to 134 available sound effects.
- Frequency increased from +-4096 with 8 octaves to +-32767 with 28.4 octaves.
- Increased from 30 to 42 available musics.
- Sound channels increased from 8 to 16.
- Tempo increased from 240 to 512.
- New parameter
- Either Japanese or other countries this is mounted.
TALK" command engine re-added. Most intonation parameter from V2 are removed.
- The engine works for Japanese but not for Indo-European languages.
New Commands for All Sound CommandsEdit
EFCSET- Control effect's preset.
EFCOFF- Toggle effects.
EFCWET- Control effect's volume.
- Some default voices provided between "
BEEP 70" and "
BEEP 74" . For example, "Bye Bye", "Yatta ne"(Well done!) and others.
Sharing and Saving ProgramsEdit
- Program files can be "backed up" on the Smileboom server.
- The users can upload and download own files only. If uploader decides to, a "Public Key" is issued that can be distributed to other people. Other users can download that know the Public Key.
- User can make "project" (that is one of "folder") as one hierarchy only.When other user downloaded,same project is generated.
- Other file sharing commands and methods have been removed (QRs,
- From main menu, users can control "my uploads", "my downloads", open, lock, delete and download from others.
- Smileboom announced that a few good games made with Petit Computer 3 can become independent original games.
- Improved running speed
- Battery level visible on touchscreen keyboard.
- Added new Sprites,
BGMPLAYs along with some of the old Petit Computer's material.
- Sample Games (In old Petit Computer had from "GAME1" to "GAME6") are arranged in its display.
- To touch and choose "Yes" and "No" on lower screen can do "A" and "B" buttons possibly.
- Not compatible with Petit Computer (mkII)
- After the release of Petit Computer 3, Petit Computer (mkII) will continue to be downloadable in Japan.
- Program suspension(you will be able to pause what you are doing to return to the petit computer menu).
- Functions and Commands controlling
ICONare no longer usable.
- ACLS was not present in V3 at Tokyo Game Show 2014 (demo version), but many people became confused without ACLS. The release version adds ACLS again. ACLS now stops background music as well.
- The release version adds BACKTRACE.
- Since release day, the 3rd official "Petit Computer Ogiri"(Program contest) opened.
- No online multiplayer, only local.
(*bold indicates largely unknown features*)
Images (Click to expand)Edit
These are QR's for the Nintendo 3DS Camera, not Petit Computer. They demonstrate how the 3D depth function is going to look.
Original sites: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third_qr.php, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd4/, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd5/http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd6/
Physical keyboard support. (As in Pokemon Typing Adventure: http://www.pokemontypingadventure.com/uk/keyboard/)Not compatible.
- "Our president has been or even the mouth and Poro~tsu with in situ (approximately) 10 large secret unknown yet of Puchikon No. 3 among others, you will be notified formally again for more information." - Google Translate
- Some form of desktop support. Extent, further details unknown.
- Running Speed - 100 times faster than old Petit Computer
(*bold indicates largely unknown features*)
External Links and sourcesEdit
- The Japanese Official Site of Petit Computer 3
- The SmileBASIC Official Site (English)
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php - Japanese Teaser Site
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/download/ - Online and Download Manual (But Japanese only now)
- http://smileboom.com/blog/about/press/ptcm3.html - You can download from some contents.
News (Before determination of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.itmedia.co.jp/keywords/puticom3.html - Nikkan! Putikon Sango(Daily! Petit Computer 3D) This site is really daily.
News (After determination of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-38759_petit_computer_3_de_sortie_la_semaine_prochaine_au_japon.htm#.VGF9KwS00Io.twitter （French）
- http://nintyeshopgamers.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/petit-computer-se-renueva-en-3ds-y-mini-entrevista-sobre-el-juego-a-smileboom/ (Spanish)
Streams in You TubeEdit
- In Tokyo Game Show
- http://wiki.hosiken.jp/petc3gou/ - Japanese Wiki
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ihBdTe0w3GRSE-NgzqTo7i0XtMvLKqWTZ6xuVmsHiJ4/edit#gid=0 - Rewritable FIles Data Base
Information on this page is subject to change.