Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Developer(s):||SmileBoom Co. Ltd.|
|Release Date:|| JP November 19,2014|
NA October 15, 2015
|Mode(s):||Single-Player and Multi-Player|
|Preceded by:||Petit Computer|
Note: SmileBASIC programs and discussion should go on the new site, http://smilebasicsource.com
SmileBASIC (Japanese: プチコン3号 SmileBASIC [Puchikon San-go Sumairu Beshiku]) is a downloadable 3DS application developed by SmileBoom Co. Ltd., which is currently available for North American and Japanese systems in the Nintendo 3DS family. It is the successor to Petit Computer (Japanese: プチコン mkII [Puchikon mkII]). The Japanese official website details input and output support, file types, included samples, and describes the server functions. An English site is also available. It was released in Japan on November 19th, 2014, for ¥1000, and later in North America on October 15th, 2015, for USD$9.99 (USA), CAD$12.99 (Canada) and MEX$158 (Mexico). There is currently no word on the status of the European release.
New Editing FeaturesEdit
- Programs can be up to 999,999 lines long and up to 1,048,576 characters long.
- No line length limit. Line-wrapping can be enabled or disabled.
- Syntax highlighting, with user-definable colors.
- Undo/Redo buttons and multi-line code copying and pasting.
- Find and replace.
- When you push the "HELP" button while the cursor is on a command or statement, the on-screen Help window opens.
- Four program slots are available which can be loaded, saved, and run independently.
- The keyword
COMMON, and commands
RESTOREcan be used to access functions and resources from other slots.
- New drawing function features are available.
- Function Key No.4 has changed to "
LIST ERR[ENTER]". If you encounter an error, F4 displays the errored line quickly.
- The SMILE Button is available in Edit Mode which will open the SMILETOOL (or a program defined by the user). The SmileTool gives quick access to lists of numerical IDs of various resources, such as sound effects and background tiles. Additionally, it provides references and an easy way to find the correct parameters for adjustments such as offset, depth, and rotation, among others.
- Edit mode length guide, showing available space of 46x29 characters.
- The autosaving feature has been replaced by a slot always loaded feature.
Command, Statement and Variable ChangesEdit
- Multi-line "
IF - THEN - ELSEIF - THEN - ELSE - ENDIF", in addition to "
IF - THEN - (ELSEIF - THEN -) (ELSE -)" on a single line.
- A new "
REPEAT UNTIL" statement similar to Do and Loop.
- Local variables and user-defined functions.
- Up to four dimensions are allowed in arrays.
- The remainder operator "
%" has changed to "
MOD", like in Microsoft Basic.
%is now used as a variable suffix to denote integer type (similar to how
$is used to denote string type).
- is used as a variable suffix to denote double-precision floating-point type.
- All variables without a suffix (
$) can be set to integers by default with
- Real time communication play statements. Multiple users with Petit Computer 3 can run programs together in real time. However, only local connections are supported.
PRGSETallows modification of code in other editing slots, letting users make programs that generate other BASIC programs.
- Many commands have an
OUToption. Instead of "
Command A,B,C,D...", "
Command A OUT B,C,D..." returns the values as B,C and D.
CHR$(n)supports 65536 text characters, of which roughly 5000 are defined as of v3.2 (mostly Japanese kanji).
- Screen resolution - 400x240 on top screen, 320x240 on bottom screen
- Color palette system is removed, RGB colors can be set without restriction.
- Sprite colors can be filtered, including transparency
- UTF-16 character set. Variations (bolding, italicization) are still not available.
- On Japanese kana characters, voiced sound marks are now integrated as single characters.
DIALOGcommands, users can make dialog windows on the lower screen (DIALOG windows support more kanji characters and symbols than normal text.).
- Z axis support. Range is from "-256" (closest to viewer) to "1024" (farthest). 0 is flat on the screen without any 3D effects.
- Triangular 2D polygons supported from v3.1.
- Backgrounds can now be rotated by "
- Background size is much larger than previous versions. Users can make scrolling games like "Gradius" easily.
- New system in Petit Computer 3. GRP uses 6 pages of 512x512 pixels each that are assigned as follows by default:
- GRP0 & GPR1 - Graphic pages. GRP commands write directly to these.
- GRP2 & GPR3 - Back buffer graphic pages to prevent tearing of images.
GPAGElets you select which page to display and which page to write to.
- GRP4 - Sprite page. GRP sheet used as a sprite bank.
- GRP5 - BG page. GRP used a tile bank.
- GRPF - Font page. A semi-secret GRP like BGF0 of old Petit Computer. v3.2 added support in
GCOPYwith the numeric ID '-1'.
- Options for
SAVEare PRG0-PRG3, GRP0-GRP5, TXT(string), DAT(array) and WAV(Sound).
GSAVEis used to transfer between GRP and arrays (DAT resource type).
BGSAVEis used to transfer between BG and arrays (DAT resource type).
- User can use same GRP as a graphic, sprite bank, and BG tile bank at the same time.
- All GRPs can be reset at once by using
- New maximum sprite size is 512x512. Sprites can be created pixel by pixel.
- New maximum patterns are 4096, and can be defined by "
SPSET" command or "
- Many new default sprites.
- Sprite space greatly increased.
- Sprite palettes have been removed, RGB colors are used instead.
SPOFS" now has a Z parameter.
- Turning and Flipping is set by binary variables, like with "
BUTTON()" or Package Resources.
- On "
SPSCALE", vertical and horizontal scaling can be set independently. Range of "0" to "200"(%) changed to "0" to "2.0".
SPHIDE" and "
SPSHOW" commands, no more fooling around with "
SPOFS" or transparent sprites.
SPCOLORfor color tints.
SPUNLINKfor linking different sprites.
SPHITgroup value increased from 8 to 32 bits.
SPHIThas been integrated into
SPTThave been integrated into
SPREADhas been integrated into
- All animation commands were combined into
Inputs and OutputsEdit
- "START" button changed to end program like "SELECT" button; "START" button can't be used in programs anymore.
- The 3DS sensors such as the microphone and gyroscope sensor(to detect rotation and acceleration) are supported.
- Microphone is supported. Bit rates available are 8180Hz, 10910Hz, 16360Hz or 32730Hz. Bit depth and maximum lengths are 8 bit for 32 seconds or 16 bit for 4 seconds. Maximum recording samples are 16834.
- Suggestions that music from KORG DS-12 can be used in Petit Computer 3 (KORG DS-10, an older version of the KORG DS software)
- Circle Pad Pro (a.k.a. Slider Pad, Slide Pad Expansion) / New 3DS (C-stick, ZL, ZR) support.
- Users cannot customize these devices.
- A collaboration with DETUNE is not supported in initial versions, but is planned to be added in a future version.
- Available sound effects increased from 70 to 134.
- Frequency increased from +-4096 with 8 octaves to +-32767 with 28.4 octaves.
- Available BGM tracks increased from 30 to 42.
- Sound channels increased from 8 to 16.
- Tempo increased from 240 to 512.
- New parameter
- Available in Japanese and non-Japanese versions.
TALK" command engine re-added. Most intonation parameters from V2 are removed.
- Actual TALK speech only supports Japanese syllables, not those of Indo-European languages.
New Commands for All Sound CommandsEdit
EFCSET- Control effector preset.
EFCOFF- Toggle effects.
EFCWET- Control effect amount.
- Some default Japanese voices are provided between "
BEEP 70" and "
BEEP 78" . For example, "Bye Bye", "Yatta ne" (Well done!) and others.
Sharing and Saving ProgramsEdit
- Program files and data can be "backed up" on the SmileBoom server with a limit.
- Users can only upload and download their own files. However, they can choose to publish programs, receiving a "Public Key" that can be distributed to other people. Other users can download the program if they know the Public Key.
- Users can make a single level of "project"s (a.k.a. "folder"s). When another user downloads it, the same project structure is maintained.
- All other file sharing commands and methods have been removed (QR codes,
- From the main menu, users can control "my uploads", "my downloads", open, lock, delete and download files from others.
- SmileBoom announced that a few good games made with Petit Computer 3 can become independent original games. All nominations and winners of the Programming Contest 3 are to be published on the Japanese eShop as Petit Computer Magazine Issue 1. On twitter, SmileBoom have stated this will not be released outside Japan.
- Improved running speed.
- Battery level visible on touchscreen keyboard.
- Sample Games (Such as "GAME1" to "GAME6" in old Petit Computer) can be listed with View Samples.
- Touching to select "Yes" and "No" on the lower screen can be done with "A"(OK) and "B"(No) buttons.
- Not compatible with Petit Computer (mkII).
- After the release of Petit Computer 3, Petit Computer (mkII) will continue to be downloadable in Japan.
- Program suspension (You can pause what you are doing to return to the petit computer menu, and resume it).
- Functions and Commands controlling
ICONare no longer usable.
- A third "Petit Computer Ogiri" Programming Contest ran in Japan from release day until January 31st, 2015, receiving 130 entries. The top 38 programs nominated for awards were released on the eShop in Japan as "Petit Computer Magazine Issue 1".
Bandai Namco Entertainment Catalogue IP CollaborationEdit
In the Japanese version only, users can use 17 Old Namco Game Characters from Version 3.3.0.Trying to download a program with them to the English version will remove the material. (Similar to programs using the sound DLC -- download will turn the command into a null operation) The assets contain:
- GRP and SPDEFinitions of Sprites
- GRP and Screen placement of BG
- Custom BGMPLAY and BEEP
- Data Browser Tool
Japanese can buy these assets for 100 or 200 Yen, depending on the DLC. In order to use these assets in an application, the "DLCOPEN" command must be used. Here is a list of all the DLC:
- Galaxian - 100 Yen since April 6,2016
- Pacman - 100 Yen since April 6,2016
- DIGDUG -200 Yen
- MAPPY -200 Yen
- XEVIOUS -200 Yen
- GALAGA -200 Yen
- B_CITY (Battle City)
- S_LUSTER (Star Luster)
- D_BUSTER (Dragon Buster)
- GENPEI (Genpei Toma Den)
- BABEL (Tower of babel)
- A_VALKYRIE (Valkyrie no Boken - Japanese 'boken' means 'A'dventure)
- YOKAI (Yokai Dochuki)
- W_MOMO (Wonder Momo)
- WAGAN (Wagan Land)
Version 3.5.0 (Coming soon, 2016)Edit
- This will be Petit Computer BIG with Version 3.4.0 of Petit Compuer 3D.
Version 3.4.0 (Coming soon, 2016)Edit
- This will be Petit Computer 3D with Version 3.5.0 of Petit Compuer BIG.
Version 3.3.2 (Japan: July 27, 2016 10:00; NA: August 9, 2016)Edit
- A homebrew exploit was patched. BGSCREEN now correctly bounds-checks its size arguments.
- Fixed a crash when a negative number is set to RINGCOPY's destination offset.
- Fixed infinite loop bug with LOAD; "File not found" dialogs with the hide flag set can now be force-quit.
- BACKTRACE now works properly in DIRECT mode.
- SYS now works correctly when set as the active project
- Fixed a bug where CHKFILE would return the wrong value if an unpurchased DLC file was checked for
- Using zero-length arrays with MAX and MIN now throws Illegal function call
- Fixed a crash when LOAD is given the wrong arguments
- Fixed a bug where PRGNAME would become corrupted
Version 3.3.1 (Japan: May 25, 2016)Edit
- Some bugs fixed below:
- Infinite loop of
CONVOLentry removed from autocomplete.
- Closing lid,
GSAVEas DAT format to
GLOADas GRP format.
- Cursor of
- Could not change editor highlighting colors.
- Version of Smile Tool was old.
- Infinite loop of
- For generate Public Key with GRP files changed from automatic to operation.
- SmileBASIC was removed from the eShop since July 11, 2016 to prevent homebrew. Recently, they have announced that the Japanese version will be put back on the eShop with version 3.3.2 soon.
Version 3.3.0 (Japan: April 6, 2016; NA: April 27, 2016)Edit
- New Commands
- BGMPAUSE - Pause BGMPLAY like SPSTOP or SPHIDE
- BGMCONT - Continue BGMPLAY like SPMOVE or SPSHOW
- SNDSTOP - Stop all BGMPLAYs and BEEPs
- CLIPBOARD - modify/get contents of editor clipboard
- GOFS - Set and Read of Graphic Page Offset
- BIN$ - Convert integer to binary string, like HEX$
- MILLISEC - Millisecond version of MAINCNT
- EXTFEATURE - System variable, returns 1 if user has DLC
- DLCOPEN - Open to Download Contents below.If you don't buy, PTC3 returns error message "DLC not found".
- Some commands and functions add new paramaters below:
- BGSCREEN - now able to use 8x8 tiles and 32x32 tiles
- BGLOAD - Offset of Character number
- FORMAT$ - %B format type: binary string of integer
- SPDEF - Offset of some paramaters
- SPLINK - Getting Linkage ID
- MICSTART - 8 or 16 bit Signed
- ACLS - Saving Option of GRP, SPDEF and FONT
- LOAD - Locate of GRP
- High Quality Sound Unit (DLC) was released (500 Yen, $5.00 USD). New Commands below:
- FFT - Fourier transform
- IFFT - Inverse Fourier transform
- BIQUAD - BiQuad Filter
- BQPARAM - BiQuad parameter generation
- FFTWFN - FFT Window Function
- PCMSTREAM - Exec of PCM Stream
- PCMPOS - Get Pointer of PCM
- PCMVOL - Volume of PCM
- PCMSTOP - STOP PCM
- PCMCONT - Continue PCM
- ARYOP - Batch compute on arrays/sequences (?)
- RINGCOPY - Ring Buffer Copy
- Japanese users can use some old Bandai Namco IPs along with their sprites and sounds. See "Bandai Namco Entertainment Catalog IP Collaboration".
- Some bugs fixed below:
- INC and DEC with system valuable
- RUN and TOPMENU button
- Overflow of Strings * number
- Deleted program on server
- Smile Paint Tool
- Carriage return becoming line feed when saving TXT. (When loading PRG, it still is changed to line feed)
- In the file browser, you can sort by date as well as by name.
- Sometime After 3.3, Petit Computer BIG will be released.
Version 3.2.1 (Japan: August 5, 2015; NA: October 15, 2015)Edit
- Some bugs of commands fixed.
- A manual was corrected.
- First release of NA version.
Version 3.2.0 (Japan: June 17, 2015)Edit
- Corrections made to Error Messages.
- Corrections made to Help Messages.
- TALK command can now control playback speed and pitch.
- New commands:
- Screen fade affect.
- SPCOLOR and BGCOLOR now support adding color as well as subtracting color.
- To prevent endless DIALOG windows, user can exit DIALOG mode by pressing the START button.
- For text, user can use 16 color codes instead of the RGB function.
- In 3.1.0 and lower, [SHIFT]+[Del] erases one line of code. 3.2.0 and later erases from the current cursor position to the end of the line.
SQRT(a clone of SQR) was removed
RESULTalso returns the input from
- JIS Plane 1 kanji implemented using the Misaki Japanese Kanji Font.
- Purchase Extra Features menu added, with Gold Subscriptions available for additional server space.
Version 3.1.0 (Japan: March 4, 2015)Edit
- All sprites need to be SPSET like old Petit Computer.
- Higher running speed than 3.0.2.
- In the main menu, a new space was made for added functions in new versions.
- [FILES "//"] can get all projects.
- List of commands and functions were deleted from the digital manual.
- New commands.
Version 3.0.2 (Japan: January 7, 2015)Edit
- Help button crash fixed.
Version 3.0.1 (Japan: December 17, 2014)Edit
- Bug fixed in SPCHR, SPHIDE and SPSHOW.
- Home location of many sprites changed.
- Bug fixed in GAME3JUMP.
- This update was quickly removed on the same day due to help button causing crashes. with users advised to uninstall it.
Version 3.0.0 (Japan: November 19, 2014)Edit
- This was the first official release. (Japan only)
- New commands:
Beta Version (Japan: September 18, 2014)Edit
- Available to visitors of the SmileBoom booth at Tokyo Game Show.
Petit Computer BIGEdit
- Petit Computer 3D for Wii U.
- Revealed by Smileboom in the "Petit Computer 3D Official Guide Book" published on September 14, 2015.
- After release of 3DS Version 3.3.0,Smileboom tweeted BIG will be released within 2016.
- Smileboom has next hope that is the 64 bit BASIC system instead of Petit Computer.
Same between 3D and BIGEdit
- 'XON COMPAT' command keeps below:
- 'XSCREEN 2' is similar to 3DS with 3DS buttons.
- GRP numbers.
- Network,ID,public keys and programs.
More than 3DEdit
- User can use wide file viewer,and sort by alphabetic or time stamp.
- Font size has 16x16 and 8x8.
- Memories (128 mega bytes),Text Screen (75x44),Sprites(4096) and BGs.
- GRP size are 400x240,320,240(these are same to 3D),256x192,320x200,320x240,400x240,640x400,640x480 and 854x480.
- Running speed is 3 times faster.
- 'XON WIIU' command keeps below:
- 3 screens.TV screen has 1st screen(Upper screen of DS) only or with 2nd screen(Lower screen of DS).User can select by F12 Key.3rd screen is Game Pad.Though without TV screen,user can use wii pad only.
- New icons.Slot SAVE,Slot LOAD,Smile Tool #2 and new tool bar in left and right side.
- 'XSCREEN 5' and 'XSCREEN 6' screen mode. 'XSCREEN 6' can set upper and lower screen respectively.
- Controllers are supported below:
- Wii Remote Controller
- Classic Controller (also PRO)
- USB Microphone
- USB Keyboard
- 4 Wireless Controllers for much play
- Balance Board is not supported.
- Viblation output of Game Pad.
- 'XON 3DS' command keeps below:
- Local multiplayer with other 3DSes and 3D Visual Effects
On 3D,pushing START button makes break of program suddenly.But BIG needs some seconds for break.Between October 18,2016 and 19 Kobayashi asked to Japanese users on twitter."Whitch has START button of 3D to suddenly or long?" And then Kobayashi tweeted START button of 3D can change to either suddenly or long since next version.
Images (Click to expand)Edit
The American Comic-styled Hero wearing a magenta suit in some pictures is called "Mr.Syntax".
These are QR codes for Nintendo 3DS Camera, not Petit Computer. They demonstrate how the 3D depth function looks.
Original sites: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third_qr.php, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd4/, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd5/ http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd6/
- Smileboom had developed a physical keyboard, but canceled because of high cost for sale.
"Also at the event, the company president divulged that there were (about) 10 huge secrets of Petit Computer 3 that nobody knows, but further details on those will be officially announced at a later date."- Revealed as upgraded features and functions. Some form of desktop support?- Kind of, in the form of the Wii U version, with USB keyboard and larger screen support
- Running Speed - New 3ds ~32x / Old 3ds ~11x faster runtime performance compared to Petit Computer. Tested with the actual software. -- http://filetrip.net/dl?IRWj3J9Otj (video proof) (as of SB vers. 3.2.1, video was of SB JPN vers. 3.0.0)
External Links and sourcesEdit
- Japanese Official Site of Petit Computer 3
- The SmileBASIC Official Site (English)
- SmileBASIC E-Manual Official English Translation
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php - Japanese Teaser Site
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/download/ - Online and Download Manual (Currently Japanese only)
- http://smileboom.com/blog/about/press/ptcm3.html - Press Packs and imagery for Petit Computer 3.
- https://twitter.com/PetitComputer - Official Japanese Twitter account.
- https://twitter.com/notohoho - SmileBoom CEO Takaki Kobayashi's Twitter account.
- https://twitter.com/smilebasic_com - Official English Twitter account.
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/media/pdf/ec2015-workshop.pdf - For EC2015 Work Shop (Japanese)
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073481445179/14866558073481445194 - Miiverse
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj04FERaA - Hakase(Hakase the Doctor)'s Public Key Data Base
News (Before announcement of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.itmedia.co.jp/keywords/puticom3.html - Nikkan! Putikon Sango(Daily! Petit Computer 3) Daily info on Petit Computer 3.
News (After announcement of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-38759_petit_computer_3_de_sortie_la_semaine_prochaine_au_japon.htm (French)
- http://nintyeshopgamers.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/petit-computer-se-renueva-en-3ds-y-mini-entrevista-sobre-el-juego-a-smileboom/ (Spanish)
Advertisements in Monthly "Nintendo Dream"Edit
The exploits of Mr.Syntax the Hero, but all in Japanese.
News (About Western Releases)Edit
Streams on You TubeEdit
- From Tokyo Game Show
- http://wiki.hosiken.jp/petc3gou/ - Japanese Wiki
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ihBdTe0w3GRSE-NgzqTo7i0XtMvLKqWTZ6xuVmsHiJ4/edit#gid=0 - Editable Files Data Base
- http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/imagine/event.html - The Petit Computer Fan Meeting in October 17 2015,Japan.A Beta Version of Petit Computer BIG is opened.
Information on this page is subject to change.