|Developer(s):||SmileBoom Co. Ltd.|
|Release Date:|| JP November 19,2014|
NA & EU Summer 2015
|Mode(s):||Single-Player and Multi-Player|
|Preceded by:||Petit Computer|
Petit Computer 3 (Formal Japanese title "プチコン3号 SmileBASIC", [Puchikon San-go Sumairu Beshiku]) is a downloadable 3DS application currently available for Japanese (New) Nintendo 3DS (XL) systems and developed by SmileBoom Co. Ltd.. It is the successor to Petit Computer (プチコン mkII, Puchikon mkII). The official Japanese website can be found here (English here), and details input and output support, file types, included samples, and describes the server functions.Note: SmileBASIC programs and resources are being moved to the SmileBASIC specific partner wiki
The published price is ¥1000 (around 8.50 USD, likely to be rounded up to 9.99 USD (without tax)) and the Japanese release date is November 19th, 2014. NA and EU release is delayed to sometime in 2015.
New Editing FeaturesEdit
- Up to 999,999 lines are available. There is no character limit.
- No line length limit. Code wraparound can be toggled.
- Syntax highlighting, with user-definable colors.
- Code collapsing (Like a "show/hide" button).
- Undo/Redo buttons and multi-line code copying and pasting
- Find and replace
- When you push the "HELP" button while the cursor is on a command or statement, the on-screen Help window opens.
- You can have up to four programs open simultaneously, independently loading and saving in each one.
- To share a resource between them,
- New drawing function features.
- Function Key No.4 changed to "
LIST ERR[ENTER]". If you encounter an error, F4 displays the errored line quickly.
- pressing the SMILE button while editing will open the SMILETOOL (or a program defined by the user). In it, the numerical ID of various resources, such as sound effects and background tiles can be found quickly. Additionally, it provides references and an easy way to find just the right parameters for adjustments such as offset, depth, and rotation, among others.
- Edit mode length guide
- No autosaving
Command, Statement and Variable ChangesEdit
- Multi-line "
IF - THEN - ELSEIF - THEN - ELSE - ENDIF", in addition to "
IF - THEN (- ELSE)" on a single line.
REPEAT UNTIL" statement similar to Do and Loop.
- Local variables and user-defined functions.
- Up to four dimensions are allowed in arrays.
%" changed to "
MOD", like in Microsoft Basic.
- % is now used as a variable suffix to denote integer type (similar to how $ is used to denote string type).
- # is used as a variable suffix to denote double-precision floating-point type.
- All defined variables can be set to integers by default with OPTION DEFINT.
- Real time communication play statements. Multiple users with Petit Computer 3 can run programs in real time. However, only local connections are supported.
- User can generate another BASIC program in a program with
- Text Characters of "
CHR$(n)" - 65536
- Screen resolution - 400x240 on top screen, 320x240 on bottom screen
- Color palette system is removed
- Sprite colors can be filtered, including transparency
- UTF-16 character set. Variations (bolding, italicization) are still not available.
- On Japanese Kana characters, voiced sound marks are now integrated as single characters.
DIALOGcommand, users can make dialog windows on the lower screen (In Tokyo Game Show a Japanese user succeeded to display Kana and Kanji from DS).
- Z axis support. Range is from "-256" (closest to viewer) to "1024" (farthest).0 is on the screen without any 3D effects.
- Triangular 2D polygons are currently supported.
- Backgrounds can now be rotated by "
- Background size is much larger than old Petit Computer. Users can make scrolling games like "Gradius" easily.
- New system of Petit Computer 3. GRP has 6 pages and 512x512 pixel that assign in default.
- GRP0 & GPR1 - Graphic pages. GRP writes directly to these.
- GRP2 & GPR3 - Back buffer graphic pages to prevent tearing of images.
GPAGElets you select which page to display and which page to write to.
- GRP4 - Sprite page. GRP sheet used as a sprite bank.
- GRP5 - BG page. GRP used a tile bank.
- GRPF - Font page. One Japanese user found this secret GRP like BGF0 of old Petit Computer.
- Options for
SAVEare PRG0-PRG3, GRP0-GRP5, TXT(string), DAT(array) and WAV(Sound).
GSAVEis used to transfer between GRP and array(DAT resource type).
BGSAVEis used to transfer between BG and array(DAT resource type).
- User can use same GRP as a graphic, sprite bank, and BG tile bank at the same time.
- We can reset these by
- New maximum sprite size is 512x512. Sprites can be created pixel by pixel.
- New maximum patterns are 4096,that is called "palette" and defined by "
SPSET" command or "
- Many new default sprites.
- Sprite space greatly increased.
- Sprite palettes have been removed, RGB colors are used instead.
SPOFS" now has a Z parameter.
- Turning and Flipping is set by binary variables, like "
BUTTON()" or Package Resource.
- On "
SPSCALE", vertical and horizontal scaling is independent of each other. Range of "0" to "200"(%) changed to "0" to "2.0".
SPHIDE" and "
SPSHOW" command, no more fooling around with "
SPOFS" or transparent sprites.
SPUNLINKfor linkage among some sprites.
SPHITincreased from 8 to 32 bits.
SPHIThas been integrated into
SPTThave been integrated into
SPREADhas been integrated into
- All animation commands were combined into
Inputs and OutputsEdit
- "START" button changed to end program like "SELECT" button; "START" button can't be used in programs anymore.
- The 3DS sensors such as the microphone and gyroscope sensor(to detect rotation and acceleration) will be supported.
- Microphone is supported. Bit rates available are 8180Hz, 10910Hz, 16360Hz or 32730Hz. Bit depth and maximum lengths are 8 bit for 32 seconds or 16 bit for 4 seconds. Maximum recording samples are 16834.
- New details suggest that music from KORG DS-12 can be used in Petit Computer 3 (An older version of the KORG DS software)
- Circle Pad Pro (a.k.a. Slider Pad, Slide Pad Expansion) / New 3DS (C-stick, ZL, ZR) support.
- Users cannot customize these devices.
- Collaboration with DETUNE is not supported in first version, but is planned for the next version.
- Increased from 70 to 134 available sound effects.
- Frequency increased from +-4096 with 8 octaves to +-32767 with 28.4 octaves.
- Increased from 30 to 42 available musics.
- Sound channels increased from 8 to 16.
- Tempo increased from 240 to 512.
- New parameter
- Either Japanese or other countries this is mounted.
TALK" command engine re-added. Most intonation parameter from V2 are removed.
- The engine works for Japanese but not for Indo-European languages.
New Commands for All Sound CommandsEdit
EFCSET- Control effect's preset.
EFCOFF- Toggle effects.
EFCWET- Control effect's volume.
- Some default voices provided between "
BEEP 70" and "
BEEP 78" . For example, "Bye Bye", "Yatta ne"(Well done!) and others.
Sharing and Saving ProgramsEdit
- Program files and data can be "backed up" on the Smileboom server with a limit.
- The users can upload and download own files only. If uploader decides to, a "Public Key" is issued that can be distributed to other people. Other users can download that know the Public Key.
- User can make "project" (that is one of "folder") as one hierarchy only. When other user downloads it, the same project structure is made.
- Other file sharing commands and methods have been removed (QR codes,
- From main menu, users can control "my uploads", "my downloads", open, lock, delete and download from others.
- Smileboom announced that a few good games made with Petit Computer 3 can become independent original games.
- Improved running speed
- Battery level visible on touchscreen keyboard.
- Sample Games (In old Petit Computer had from "GAME1" to "GAME6") are arranged in its display.
- To touch and choose "Yes" and "No" on the lower screen can do with "A"(Ok) and "B"(No) buttons.
- Not compatible with Petit Computer (mkII)
- After the release of Petit Computer 3, Petit Computer (mkII) will continue to be downloadable in Japan.
- Program suspension(you will be able to pause what you are doing to return to the petit computer menu).
- Functions and Commands controlling
ICONare no longer usable.
- Since release day, the 3rd official "Petit Computer Ogiri"(Program contest) opened.
Future Version (Coming soon)Edit
- Smileboom is trying other refinements now.
Version 3.2.0 (Coming soon)Edit
- Some corrections about Error Messages.
- Some corrections about Help.
- TALK command can control playback speed and pitch.
- New commands.
- Screen fade effection.
- Not only subtractional color to SPCOLOR, BGCOLOR, adding color command.
- Against endless DIALOG, user can exit DIALOG mode by START button.
- For only text, user can use 16 color codes instead of the RGB function.
- In 3.1.0 and lower, [SHIFT]+[Del] erases one line of code. 3.2.0 and later erases from the current cursor position to the end of the line.
SQRTis deleted. Smileboom forgot instead of
RESULTalso returns the input from
- User can use the Misaki Japanese Kanji Font as the JIS Level 1 Kanji.
- North American and European territories will release with this version.
Version 3.1.0 (March 4, 2015)Edit
- All sprites need to be SPSET like old Petit Computer.
- Higher running speed than 3.0.2.
- In the main menu, a new space was made for added functions in new versions.
- [FILES "//"] can get all projects.
- In degital manual,list of commands and functions were deleted.
- New commands.
Version 3.0.2 (January 7, 2015)Edit
- Help button crash fixed.
Version 3.0.1 (December 17, 2014)Edit
- Bug fixed about SPCHR, SPHIDE and SPSHOW.
- Home location of many sprites changed.
- Bug of GAME3JUMP fixed.
- Was removed on December 17, 2014 due to help button causing crashes.
Version 3.0.0 (November 19, 2014)Edit
- This is first official release to Japanese users.
- New commands.
Tokyo Game Show Version(September 18, 2014)Edit
- This is temporary public to users.
Images (Click to expand)Edit
According to the "Monthly Nintendo Dream" February 2015,that American Comics like Hero wears a magenta suit is called "Mr.Syntax".
These are QR codes for Nintendo 3DS Camera, not Petit Computer. They demonstrate how the 3D depth function is going to look.
Original sites: http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third_qr.php, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd4/, http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd5/http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/third/nd6/
Physical keyboard support. (As in Pokemon Typing Adventure: http://www.pokemontypingadventure.com/uk/keyboard/)Not compatible.
- "Also at the event, the company president divulged that there were (about) 10 huge secrets of Petit Computer 3 that nobody knows, but further details on those will be officially announced at a later date."
- Some form of desktop support. Extent, further details unknown.
- Running Speed - 28x faster runtime performance compared to Petit Computer. Tested with the actual software. -- http://filetrip.net/dl?IRWj3J9Otj (video proof)
(*bold indicates largely unknown features*)
External Links and sourcesEdit
- The Japanese Official Site of Petit Computer 3
- The SmileBASIC Official Site (English)
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/html_third.php - Japanese Teaser Site
- http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/download/ - Online and Download Manual (Currently Japanese only)
- http://smileboom.com/blog/about/press/ptcm3.html - You can download from some contents.
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073481445179/14866558073481445194 - Miiverse
- https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj04FERaA - Hakase(Doctor)'s Public Key Data Base
News (Before determination of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.itmedia.co.jp/keywords/puticom3.html - Nikkan! Putikon Sango(Daily! Petit Computer 3D) This site is really daily.
News (After determination of Release Date)Edit
- http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-38759_petit_computer_3_de_sortie_la_semaine_prochaine_au_japon.htm#.VGF9KwS00Io.twitter （French）
- http://nintyeshopgamers.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/petit-computer-se-renueva-en-3ds-y-mini-entrevista-sobre-el-juego-a-smileboom/ (Spanish)
Commercial in Monthly "Nintendo Dream"Edit
Mr.Syntax the Hero acts,but all Japanese.
News (About Western Releases)Edit
Streams in You TubeEdit
- In Tokyo Game Show
- http://wiki.hosiken.jp/petc3gou/ - Japanese Wiki
- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ihBdTe0w3GRSE-NgzqTo7i0XtMvLKqWTZ6xuVmsHiJ4/edit#gid=0 - Rewritable Files Data Base
Information on this page is subject to change.